Posted By: David Morgan – Follow at @damorgan86
March 30, 2015
Courtesy of NASCAR IMC
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – NASCAR today unveiled modifications to the qualifying format at superspeedways across all three national series. The updated format will take effect at Talladega Superspeedway for the NASCAR XFINITY Series and NASCAR Sprint Cup Series next month.
Qualifying for May’s Talladega Superspeedway races, as well as the July events at Daytona International Speedway, will consist of the following:
- Two rounds of qualifying, with the top-12 posted lap speeds advancing to the second round
- Race vehicles taking one, timed lap in each round of qualifying
- Each race vehicle will be released in a predetermined timed interval as determined by NASCAR, with the sanctioning body reserving the right to have more than one vehicle engaging in qualifying runs at the same time
- Qualifying order for the first round will be determined by a random draw; final round qualifying order is determined by slowest to fastest speeds from the first round
- A 10-minute break will occur between the first qualifying round and the final round
- Upon completion of the first qualifying round, the field will be set with positions 13 and beyond determined from first round qualifying speed
- The 12 fastest vehicles from the first round will have their speeds reset for the final round with starting positions 1-12 determined by the fastest laps in the final round
- NASCAR will impound race vehicles following each qualifying lap; vehicles advancing to the final round will be allowed to adjust tape and utilize a cool-down unit during the 10-minute break only
The NASCAR XFINITY Series and NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will be at Talladega Superspeedway May 1-3. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series qualifying will air live May 2 on FOX at 1 p.m. ET. The Winn Dixie 300 and GEICO 500 will air live on FOX on May 2 (3 p.m. ET) and May 3 (1 p.m. ET), respectively.
The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will utilize the format for the first time when the series returns to Talladega Superspeedway with the Sprint Cup Series in October.
Qualifying procedures for the 2016 Daytona 500 will be announced at a later date.