Harvick Finishes 38th at Las Vegas
Cut Tire Foils Day for Mobil 1 Annual Protection Driver
Date: March 12, 2017
Event: Kobalt 400 (Round 3 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Las Vegas Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 267 laps, broken into three stages (80 laps/80 laps/107 laps)
Start/Finish: 19th/38th (Accident, completed 68 of 267 laps)
Point Standing: 8th (91 points, 41 points out of first)
Race Winner: Martin Truex Jr. of Furniture Row Racing (Toyota)
Stage 1 Winner: Martin Truex Jr. of Furniture Row Racing (Toyota)
Stage 2 Winner: Martin Truex Jr. of Furniture Row Racing (Toyota)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-80):
● Kevin Harvick started 19th, finished 38th.
● The Mobil 1 pit crew gained one position on pit road during the lap 20 caution and restarted 10th.
● Harvick was able to get a strong restart after the first caution period racing as high as fifth by lap 26.
● He reported a loose-handling condition throughout the majority of Stage 1.
● Harvick cut a tire on lap 68 which saw him make significant contact with the outside wall, ending his day.
● This is the first race Harvick has not finished at Las Vegas.
Kevin Harvick, driver of the No. 4 Mobil 1 Annual Protection Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“It started vibrating about four or five laps there before it blew out, and I was just trying to ride it to the end of the stage there. Obviously, it didn’t make it. The worst part was the medical response. It took them forever to get to the car. All in all, our Mobil 1 Annual Protection Ford was running good. We were just too loose right there. It’s not like we were even tight, so it either just cut the tire, or came apart or melted the bead.”
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Camping World 500k on Sunday, March 19 at Phoenix International Raceway. The race starts at 3:30 p.m. EST with live coverage provided by FOX.