Matt Tifft / No. 19 Surface Sunscreen/Tunity/BrainGear Toyota Camry Preview
DC Solar 200 at Phoenix International Raceway
No. 19 Surface Sunscreen/Tunity/BrainGear Toyota Camry News and Notes:
* TIFFT AT PHOENIX INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY: Matt Tifft heads to Phoenix (Ariz.) International Raceway (PIR) in his first full season at Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR). For the fourth race of the 2017 NASCAR XFINITY Series (NXS) season, Tifft will make his fifth-career start at PIR behind the wheel of the No. 19 Surface Sunscreen/Tunity/BrainGear Toyota Camry. Tifft previously completed three NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) races and one NASCAR K&N Pro Series race at PIR.
* JGR AT PHOENIX INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY: Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) has a total of 71 starts at PIR. Of those 71 starts, JGR has 10 wins, 14 poles, 30 top-five finishes, 51 top-10 finishes, an average start of 8.2 and an average finish of 9.4. Kyle Busch captured nine of the team’s 10 victories with Joey Logano winning the other in 2012.
* THIS WEEK ON THE NO. 19 TOYOTA: This week the No. 19 JGR Surface Sunscreen/Tunity/BrainGear Toyota Camry will be on display for the DC Solar 200. As a sponsor of Tifft’s No. 19 Camry, this will be the second race that Surface Sunscreen is represented as the primary sponsor for the 2017 season. Tunity, Terrible Herbst and BrainGear will be featured as associate sponsors at PIR.
* XFINITY SERIES POINT STANDINGS: Entering Phoenix, Tifft is positioned in sixth place after the late wreck that sent Tifft to the garage in Las Vegas. Tifft sits 33 points back from the lead of the Driver’s Championship Point Standings and looks to find his way back into the top-five.
* ROOKIE SEASON CAMPAIGN: Tifft is in fourth place of the Sunoco Rookie of the Year points behind drivers William Byron, Daniel Hemrick, and Cole Custer.
* RACE INFORMATION: The DC Solar 200 at Phoenix International Raceway is scheduled for Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. ET. Watch and listen live on Fox Sports 1, Sirius XM channel 90 and MRN Radio.
From the Cockpit:
Matt Tifft: “Testing here in the offseason mainly helped me see what the aero package would feel like on a 1-mile track. Our team was able to gain some experience together along with understanding what the track tendencies will be. After preforming well in the truck series, I’m excited to race in an XFINITY Series car against a stronger field. The thing I am most looking forward to this week is seeing how the cars work in traffic and how the track will collect rubber as the race goes on.”
From the Pit Box:
Matt Beckman: “Unfortunately last week we weren’t able to finish the race like we had intended. With two remaining #NASCARGoesWest races, we want to make sure we make the most of Phoenix and Auto Club. My goal for Matt (Tifft) is for him to keep learning and gaining experience while finishing well. We took a lot away from the offseason test at Phoenix International Raceway and look to apply it to this week’s race.”
No. 19 Surface Sunscreen/Tunity/BrainGear / Joe Gibbs Racing Team:
Front Tire Changer-
Rear Tire Changer-
Front Tire Carrier-
Rear Tire Carrier-